There are definitely some signs that you might suffer from a clutter problem. You shouldn’t get too down on yourself though; there are millions of people all over the world that suffer from the same issue. On an extreme scale, the clinical term is called hoarding and it pertains to individuals that cannot seem to discard even the smallest item in their lives. Not everyone suffers from this mental illness to the level of a full-blown addiction, but many do struggle with it on a lesser degree.
Here To Help
The city of Toronto has a prevalence of basements and anyone with clutter problem will tell you that is the mother of all storage spaces for junk. Luckily there are also many junk removal companies in Toronto like 1-800-IAM-JUNK that specifically deal with helping junior hoarders through their clutter problem. We typically try to clean them up before they graduate to complete shut-ins.
Here are some of the more common signs that you may have a problem with clutter.
- Odd smells – When organic materials sits for long periods of time, it will usually rot and the smell of decay in the form of old newspapers, clothing, plants or other things is usually a pretty big flag that you are holding onto your junk for too long.
- Blocked off rooms and closets – In more extreme cases, people will accumulate so much stuff that they have trouble hiding it away. Instead it becomes part of the room and makes it difficult to move through the home or find things when you need them.
- Large piles of outdated magazines and newspapers – Sometimes folks like to reminisce about the past and they will collect memorabilia, articles and pamphlets from things they’ve seen, places they’ve been or stuff they’ve done. Preserved in plastic and sealed, this is not an odd thing to do and many people do it as a hobby. When the things being saved do not represent any specific significance and are being saved for no apparent reason, it may be time to call someone to remove your clutter.
- Yard debris – Debris can pile up in your yard in the form of appliances, construction materials or even broken furniture and vehicles. Folks lacking the ability to remove these things on their own may allow them to build up on the property. They may also not have the funds to pay someone to remove the larger items. Should you look out and see junk stacking up on your lawn, it is definitely time to call a junk removal specialist like 1-800-IAM-JUNK in the Toronto area.
- Infestations – Bug or rodent problems are dead giveaways that something is wrong. Whether you are holding onto organic material (food, paper, clothing, plants…etc.) too long or simply neglecting your property, pests that have a food supply and are left to themselves will find away into your home.
- General filth – This is a no-brainer. If you have to wonder if your home is cluttered and dirty, more than likely it is. You should consider bringing in a friend or family member than can give you an honest take on the situation. Sometimes an outside perspective can be all you need to see the light.
Overall these warning signs will help you determine if you have a problem with clutter at your home in the Toronto area. You know what they say, admitting you have a problem is the first step. The second step should be calling a junk removal service like 1-800-IAM-JUNK without delay.